Monday, March 26, 2012

March 25, 2012 Spring will not look back!

A lone tulip in a sunny spot is weeks ahead of most of the others...

When should roses be pruned?  A good rule of thumb is, when the forsythia blooms...

Low to the ground the crocus and anemone take full advantage of the first warm rays of spring...


Another low grower, only 4" tall, resembles the hyacinth, but is actually Puschkinia libanotica and is native to Asia and the Middle East...

The Bergenia has a pretty flower and likes to bloom early, even though the blossoms can't tolerate frost.  I often lose the blooms before I've had a chance to enjoy them...

The Dafodils are just starting and the Apricots are in full bloom...


Some plants are just as interesting as their names.  The flower on this plant is as unique as its sprouts and can measure over 12 inches.  It is in the Arum family and is called....take a guess before I tell you.

3 comments:

  1. my guess is hosta. I'm not sure if that is how you spell it. I was wondering why my crown imperials are all short? What do I need to do to get them to grow taller like yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crown imperials grow quickly and appear to be maturing when they are still rather short, but they keep growing taller after the flower buds appear.
      Hosta is a good guess, but that's not it.

      Delete
  2. Dad, your pictures are making me homesick!

    ReplyDelete